In 1928, the Redemptorist was divided into two units: the Manila Vice Province (under the newly established Australian Province) and the Cebu Vice Province (under the Irish Province). Redemptorists in Manila took care of Luzon and those in Cebu took care Visayas and Mindanao. During this period there were two mission communities in the South: Cebu and Ilo-ilo. Their number gradually increased after the 2nd World War. Redemptorist communities were established in Tacloban, Davao, Iligan, Bacolod, Dumaguete and Butuan. These communities were able to expand their mission apostolate in Visayas and Mindanao.
In the late 60s and early 70s, the Redemptorists began to expand the scope and nature of their apostolic work as a response to the changes brought by Vatican II and the changing political milieu of the country. The shrines in Iloilo, Tacloban, Cebu, Dumaguete, Davao and Butuan became parishes. With their active involvement in the Retreats, retreat houses were established in Cebu, Iloilo and Bacolod. They also set up a radio station (DYRF) as a means of evangelization.
During the Martial Law era their massage was justice and liberation. In 1975, they started to recruit and train lay missioners and started to use community organizing in building basic Christian communities in the missions.
The EDSA revolution and the fall of Marcos in 1986 led to some changes however the basic problems of poverty, inequality, graft and corruption and foreign control of the economy continues. In spite of this, the Second Plenary Council of the Philippines (PCP II) has given the Church new direction. The Redemptorists and with their lay collaborators in their various apostolic engagements implement the vision of PCP II.
In 1996, the Redemptorists in the Southern Philippines became independent province taking as its official name the “Cebu Province.” The Cebu Province maintains its link and collaboration with Manila Vice Province. In 2006, the Redemptorists celebrated their centenary in the Philippines.