Cebu Redemptorist Urban Mission Team (CRUMT)
During the Chapter of 2008, the Redemptorists recognized the special needs of the urban poor and in order to respond to it a new pastoral initiative was taken. This was to set up a mission team, attached to an established community, that will give a special emphasis to the realities of urban centers. Following this direction, the St. Alphonsus Apostolic and Formation Community of Cebu envisioned and established a team that will collaborate in the Church’s Mission leading to faith and life integration and the uplifting of the poor in the urban centers from a dehumanizing condition, and of forming a genuine Church of the Poor (PCP II). The attainment of this vision was through:
- Proclaiming Christ’s plentiful redemption that is holistic : spiritual, human, moral, socio-political and economic
- Witnessing and proclaiming the Gospel message of peace, justice and hope
- Integration with the urban poor especially with workers, informal settlers, families of migrants and youth at risk
- Working with local Church in strengthening and renewing of existing BEC’s
- Engage in organizing sectors and communities that will lead them to genuine conversion and uplifting dehumanizing conditions resulting from globalization and secularization (PCL).
Taking the mission priorities of:
- Evangelization and mission work to workers, informal settlers and other sectors identified therein.
- Integration and immersion with the urban poor families in the context of the BEC.
- Actively participate in parish programs as pastoral co-workers geared towards the formation and strengthening of BEC’s as directed by the (archdiocese and) parish thrust.
- Empowerment of the poor through Christian value formation and conscientization.
- Collaboration with agencies, GO’s and NGO’s in programs beneficial to the people in the mission areas.
- Sectoral organizing through a renewed faith community.
- Promotion of ecological awareness, health and well-being in the urban situation.
- Ongoing formation and updating of mission team members.