house-ilgnHistory of Iligan Foundation

On June 18, 1958 Fr. James T. Lillis, the parish priest of St. Michael’s Church, Iligan City, invited the Redemptorist to make foundation in the city.

It was on January 12, 1959 that Bishop Patrick Cronin formally applied and the matter was agreed. The Redemptorist Vice – Provincial at the time, Fr. Peter Mulrooney was able to accept the foundation on April 19, 1959. Fr. Mulrooney’sconsultors at the time were Frs. Patrick Mayers and Michael Minihan.

In the nominations of October 5, 1959 the first community was named. Fr. Patrick Breen was named Superior and the other members of the community were Frs. Hugh Lagan and John Lucey, soon to be joined by Bro. Dominic Alcover.

redemptoristThe Redemptoristwere warmly welcomed by Bishop Cronin. On the morning of their first day in Iligan Philip and Nita Sheker came to welcome the new arrivals and brought them to where the new house was to be. At that time it was just a vast expance of cogon grass. When the community arrived they moved into a rented house and used the school of the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM) for church services. This arrangement lasted from October of 1959 to August of 1961.

On October 22, 1959 there was a Mass of Thanksgiving at the chapel of the Religious of the Virgin Mary (RVM). On November 4, 1959 the first session of the Novena to Our Mother of Perpetual Help was celebrated.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *